Monday, August 11, 2008

Alec and Jace!

Alec and Magnus break up!!!!! Unless it's some crazy ploy of CC to lead us a stray...

City of Glass excerpt

A June cookie. Jace and Alec, mid-book.

-------

Alec retrieved the box, pulled a chair up opposite Jace's and flung
himself down in it. "Give me your hand."
Jace held his hand out. He had to admit it looked pretty bad. All four
knuckles were split open like red starbursts. Dried blood clung to his
fingers, a flaking red-brown glove.
Alec made a face. "You're an idiot."
"Thanks," Jace said. He watched patiently as Alec bent over his hand
with a pair of tweezers and gently nudged at a bit of glass embedded
in his skin. "So, why not?"
"Why not what?"
"Why not use a healing rune? This isn't a demon injury."
"Because." Alec retrieved the blue bottle of antiseptic. "I think it
would do you good to feel the pain. You can heal like a mundane. Slow
and ugly. Maybe you'll learn something." He splashed the bitter liquid
over Jace's cuts. "Although I doubt it."
"I can always do my own healing rune, you know."
Alec began wrapping a strip of bandages around Jace's hand. "Only if
you want me to tell the Penhallows what really happened to their
window, instead of letting them think it was an accident." He jerked a
knot in the bandages tight, making Jace wince. "You know, if I'd
thought you were going to do this to yourself, I would never have told
you anything."
"Yes, you would have." Jace cocked his head to the side. "You know, I
didn't realize my attack on the picture window would upset you quite
so much."
"It's just --" Done with the bandaging, Alec looked down at Jace's
hand, the hand he was still holding between his. It was a white paw of
bandages, spotted with blood where Alec's fingers had touched it. "Why
do you do these things to yourself? Not just what you did to the
window, but the way you talked to Clary. What are you punishing
yourself for? You can't help how you feel."
Jace's voice was even. "How do I feel?"
"I see how you look at her." Alec's eyes were remote, seeing something
just past Jace, something that wasn't there. "Like she's the only real
thing in the world. And you can't have her. Maybe you just never knew
what it was like to want something you couldn't have before."
Jace looked at him steadily. "What's between you and Magnus Bane?"
Alec's head jerked back. "I don't -- there's nothing --"
"I know better," Jace said, forestalling him. "I'm not stupid. You
went right to Magnus after you talked to Malachi, before you talked to
me or Isabelle or anyone --"
"Because he was the only one who could answer my question, that's why.
There isn't anything between us," Alec said -- and then, catching the
look on Jace's face, added with great reluctance, "any more. There's
nothing between us any more. Okay?"
"I hope that's not because of me," Jace said.
Alec went white, and drew back, as if he were preparing to ward off a
blow. "What do you mean?"
"I'm not stupid," Jace said. "I know how you think you feel about me.
You don't, though. You just like me because I'm safe. There's no risk.
And then you never have to try to have a real relationship, because
you can use me as an excuse." Jace knew he was being cruel, and barely
cared. Hurting people he loved was almost as good as hurting himself
when he was in this kind of mood.
"But I do —"
"You don't," Jace said. "Fine. Go ahead. Kiss me right now."
****

1 comment:

Lila_loves said...

What????? does Alec kiss him or what????? i don't want them to get together if thats whats gong to happen!!!!!

Err hurry up March 24!!! come along quicker!!!!!!